Monday, February 25, 2008

The Oscars

I, for the first time ever, watched the Oscars all the way through, from start to finish.

John Stewart: You are everything i have ever wanted to be. Possibly the best hosting job I have ever seen. I have only one gripe and it is big. (read on)

Academy House Band: You are inappropriate and ruin the best moments in some peoples' lives. You cut everyone off. I realize that there are certain time restraints, but there are also some very unnecessary montages, as well as nominating 3 ridiculously high maintenance musical numbers from Enchanted. They each lasted like 10-12 minutes, complete with thirty-dancer cast and ironically cut way into the thank you speech of Marketa Irglova who, along with her musical partner Glan hansard, beat out the 3 Enchanted numbers nominated for best original song.

My Biggest Gripe: Why is it SO important that everyone mention the fact that screenplay writer Diablo Cody, used to be an "exotic dancer". Yes it is a little interesting tid bit of trivia, but it's not SOOO crazy that someone, somewhere, needed to pay bills and stripped for a while. What if she only did it for three months and the entire world has labeled her as "The EX-STRIPPER"? She wrote the most charming script of the year and everyone finds it so ironic that an ex-dancer had the perspective and intelligence to write a script. Give her that! She did it. Don't try to "understand" it, like it's some giant paradox. And John Stewart was the one who brought it up. He delivers perfect joke after perfect joke then mentions Her stripper past. Granted, it was a funny enough joke to be there, but so was everything else he said, I'm just sure that she is sick to death of that title. Anyway, Diablo Cody, I love you and your work. Keep writing and I'll keep watching. Maybe some day we'll all get over your "dark past" (B.S.).

-Anthony

3 comments:

Yoli said...

I didn't watch the event itself this year, but was also extremely excited that Diablo Cody won. It was well deserved. I find it strange that people label life experiences in the ways they do sometimes. Like someone can't be more then how they paid bills. Sometimes I wish I were an exotic dancer instead of a Tech Services chimp in a library. I'd have more time to research for my bullshit history papers.

sam said...

Dood, last night on Kimmel, he was talking about the one male American Idol contestant who's been found to have worked as a nude dancer at a club for men, and Kimmel was all, "why can't he win? If Diablo Cody can win an Oscar..." and one (1) person laughed. Being a professional, Kimmel quickly moved on to another joke. But i thought it was telling that only one person in a non-paying audience found reference to Cody's prior job funny. Anyway, i think there are two reasons there were/are so many references to her exotic dancing: 1) 'Mericans will laugh at practically anything even if it's not funny; and 2) exotic dancing is an easy target - just like all sex and poop jokes. Generalizations, yes, but we ain't as sophisticated as we think we be.

Yoli said...

Per last comment left on my blog: I hope you didn't "lose" your computer after leaving it unattended in a study cube at the library. That happens at U of C all the time and STILL youngsters are shocked and awed when it happens to them.

Although it won't surprise me if poorly informed public sentiment wins over integrity in this year's Democratic primary, I try to keep the obvious trash talk about it on my blog to a minimum.